Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Another Top Ten

Yes, because I love you all so much....another top ten list...and a very special one this time.

Top 10 chess questions I've been asked in the past, and answers!
Note: only two questions will be posted each day, so keep checking back!

1. Is chess a sport?
I was asked this question at a tournament at Tartu College while being filmed on TV. I think I was the only girl at the tournament, so the interviewer wanted me to answer a tough one. I was very hesitant to speak (I used to be REALLY shy), and ended up giving a very poor answer. So to redeem myself, here is a brief version of the answer I would have given if asked the same question today:
"Chess is like any other sport, except hidden in the mind. While a soccer coach must strategize where to place his players, a chess participant must strategize where to place his pieces. He must think about what his opponent is planning, and perform tactics and moves to overcome obstacles. He must prepare and practice, and set his mind into a more competitive mode. Overall, chess is a special kind of game which may be known as a "mental sport"."

Here is a link to a more formal definition of "sport" from Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport

2. Why do you play chess?
I play chess because I enjoy the game and its complexity. I started playing as a child, so it has a special place in my heart, and more or less has become a part of me after so many years. I also love teaching chess and discussing strategy.

No comments: