Looking for a change? I thought up some fun chess variants for you to try today!
1) Triple Queens: The rooks are flipped over to become queens at the start of the game.
2) Confusion: For a confusing game....bullet/blitz game where rooks act like queens, and queens act like rooks, bishops act like knights and knights act like bishops....trust me, it's not as easy to break out of habits as you think, especially when pressed for time.
3) Special Capture: Captures are only allowed if you have at least two pieces attacking.
4) Restriction: Whatever TYPE of piece you last moved (P, N, B, R, Q, K) can't move on your next turn. Example: 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Nc3 would not be allowed, because white moved a knight on both move 2 and 3. However, 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Bc5 4. Nc3 would be allowed).
5) What, NO castling???????: No castling allowed. Extension of the game could also include no en passant, no promotion, ...
More chess variants can be found at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_variant